----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Micheal Patterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 1:20 AM
Subject: RE: Serious investigations into UNIX and Windows

Are you referring to reconfiguring the IMC with:

"Reroute incoming SMTP mail", then in Routing Restrictions,  selecting
"Hosts and Clients with these IP addresses" and leaving the data fields
blank?

If that's the method that you're talking about, it's only "non-documented"
within MS's help files. It's plastered all over the web. Do a search on
google for "MS exchange 5.5 open relay" and just look at the info that you
get. If that's the issue that you're discussing, someone in your admin
section just cost the company the price for the trouble ticket for no reason
because they didn't bother to look for it.

> > It's common knowledge that Windows is
> > "easier" to manage. That's one of it's selling points and it always has
> > been. "Windows is now easier than ever, just point and click". Tell me
how
> > many times have you heard someone say that about any *Nix OS currently
> > available?
> >

> Windows by itself is pretty useless as a server.  It only becomes useful
> when you start adding in all the other crap, like a mailserver (exchange)
> a terminal server, a backup software, etc.

People in the type of network that I'm in, only use Windows for applications
that require it's use. Telerad, Centricity, and various other medical
software that requires MSSQL. All other applications here on my network are
using FreeBSD from 4.9 to 5.3.7 or AIX.

> You have obviously never had to sort out a mess with Veritos ie: Seagate
> Backup on Windows.  Backup is so hairy under Windows servers that even
> Microsoft themselves is afraid or unable to release a backup program
> with the operating system that backs up open files.  And SQL server,
> Exchange, and any other serious server application ALWAYS has open
> files under a Windows server.

Oh, yes.. I've had my share of issues with Windows. Just as I've had with
every other OS that I've used. I also know how to use login restrictions to
force users out of the network so that the backups can occur to reduce the
amount of open file skips as well.

> > The human race as a whole, is always looking for something to make doing
> > something easier for them. That's what drives our desire to contstantly
> > design new technology.
> >

> Hate to wake you with the clue phone but WE don't design new technology.
> The people who design new technology are the companies that produce
> it.  And they have agendas OTHER than just making your life easier.
> Such as making money.  Why do you think that there's a new version of
> Microsoft Word every couple years?  Can you tell me with a straight
> face that each new version of Word has made it easier to type a
> typical business letter?

Clue phone? How about letting me smack you in the forhead with a clue bat.
You speak about companies having other agendas. Yes, that's true. Pray tell,
do answer the inevitable quesiton. How is it that companies, corporations
and other big business are able to make that profit?

Do they force their wares onto the unsuspecting public and force us to
purchase them?

Do they force you to use the aftershave you use to make you smell better to
the little woman?

Do they force upon you the car that you drive, the furniture in your home,
the home you live in, is that forced upon you by anyone? Wait for it, wait
for it. Clue bat time.

You, as an individual, chose to own / use those items. Just as everyone else
did. Your desire to make your life easier and more comfortable for yourself
and your family. You, I and everyone around us are what makes the companies
and corporations successful in their quest to gain fame and fortune. It's
our demands that feed their supply to us. They didn't force anything on any
of us and they make their money from our desires. It's human nature.

Let's talk about the net for example.

The Internet wasn't designed by corporations or big business. It has it's
roots in a very small amount of people. People who thought, hey, wouldn't it
be cool if we could do this? And the rest is history. Big business and
corporations take the credit for many things that has come to pass since
recorded time within the industrial revolution. However, when you look right
at it, WE, as in the human race, have thinkers, and people who are able to
step beyond the bounds of their constraints and "imagine" what something
would be like. It's called ideas. You have them, I have them, we all have
them. This is the basis for our technology, not companies or corporations.
The companies / corporations and big business take the credit for their
conception and implementation, but it all boils down to a single thought
process of one person.

I stated those items in my inital response to indicate that we, as a race,
are always striving to take the easy way out. If it requires us to invent
something to do that, so be it. It's what prompted the saddle, the car, the
telegraph, the telephone, and so forth. Regardless if the saddle was a
crutch for people who couldn't ride, or if the technology hasn't changed
within the last 100 years. The fact remains, they were thought out,
designed, and implemented so that others could do something easier.  I know
you think I'm wrong. I'd like you to consider a few things though please.
If you prefer meat in your meals, would you raise cattle, swine, chickens?
If you like vegetables, fruits, and such would you grow a garden for all of
your needs? Do you like bread? Do you bake it yourself? Due to convienience
and limitations on where you live, chances are you don't do either of those.
Chances are high that you won't move to allow yourself to grow crops or
raise livestock. Why? Because it's too convienient for you, and the
lifestyle you've chosen to walk away from the modem convienences to do that.
There are those that do. However, I can guarantee you that there are more
people in the world that use a supermarket, than there are farmers in the
world.

> Windows WAS simpler than UNIX.  No longer.  You need to get out into
> the field again, you have been sitting behind a desk managing things
> for too long.  I'd love to see you setup a Active Directory network of
> any size that contains mixed Windows versions.  You would lose a lot of
> these misguided preconceptions.

Ted I do this every day. I have 4 hospitals, 3 cancer treatment facilities
and currently 29 other remote locations that are running Windows AD, behind
FreeBSD firewalls, whose internal systems, are anything from Windows 98, to
Windows XP Pro that all converge to the central center via ipsec tunnels.
Windows, was and is currently designed

--

Micheal Patterson
Senior Communications Systems Engineer

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments,
copies of the original message.