On 10/27/2004 at 12:18 Jaime Moss wrote:

>I am looking at non Microsoft platforms for a mail server.
>
>Does FreeBSD have one in it ?

sendmail is included, though mostly because it always has been
included, not because we feel it is any good.   Postfix, exim, and
qmail are in ports in case you want a different once.  There may be
more.  (sendmail is hard to configure, and historiclly has been the
injection point of many root cracks.   Many people regard it as
unfixable.  How true any of this is can be debated)   I have no opinion
on which is best.   All have their advocates.  Each has advantages and
disadvantages.

You will have to decide which is better for you.

>I will also be looking at Linux.
>
>What is the differnce between FreeBSD and Linux?

Short answer: not much.   Both a really good, free operating systems.
Either will run your mail server just fine, in fact all the software I
listed above will run on either.   It is rare to find something that
runs on linux that cannot be made to run on FreeBSD with little work.

Long answer:   ask on the advocacy lists.  Saying anything more is
off-topic for this list, because most answers come down to personal
preference.  Often any discussion soon starts to sound like Catholics
and Lutherans arguing over religion, so be careful about asking this
question.

Note however that linux comes from many different distributions, which
affects the differences.

A short (incomplete) list of things that often come up when this
question is asked:  License,.   Fragmentation,  Hardware support,
Quality of source code, Which algorithm is used in a particular place,
Installers, How your configure it, and  How you install programs.

You get to decide for yourself.  Unlike religions, you are not assigned
a place in Hell for picking wrong.