>By modem you mean network card, yeah? Do the usb2 hub and the pcmcia slot show up? And have you tried removing that - don't think freebsd supports usb2 hubs yet, it might be causing some conflicts.

The USB2 hub has to be recognized since I installed the system with a CD ROM attached to this hub. I have since used it several times.

And, yes, I mean network card. But it works like a modem from my perspective since I am always traveling and hooking into a different wifi station all of the time. The analogy is carried further since I always have to login, and it is disconnected when not in use. (Card is turned off using the software, the same as any modem. A 'Null Modem' is a simple connection between 2 machine.)

Now, as for the card not being seen. This is one of the problems. Something seems to be interfering. I am re-installing the entire system with less system software. I'll see if I can take a more cautious approach. I think that one or more of the system services that I installed was blocking it.

Plus, I think that I need to read up some more on what is required for a FreeBSD connection.

One quick question. Are any of the 802.11g cards supported under FreeBSD?

Lloyd Hayes

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dick Davies wrote:

* Lloyd Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [1113 00:13]:

Start with the basics

Exactly!
Here you go:

plip0: flags=8851<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
  inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
  inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
  inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2

On FreeBSD, I've been trying to use the Sysinstall menus.

Not sure they support wireless NIC configuration, but since the card isn't even detected, that's the least of your worries.

The modem is currently in the PCMCIA slot and I am in an area with WiFi access. Also in a PCMCIA slot is a card which is a USB2 hub.

--
Ugh, it's like there's a party in my mouth and everyone's throwing up. - Fry