Lowell Gilbert wrote:

Lloyd Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>don't worry about it.

With XFree86, it is an issue.
It appears that Xorg won't configure correctly without it. Although I
won't swear that's the problem with Xorg.

If you describe the actual symptoms you're seeing, someone might be able to help.

>Unless you're trying to have someone outside reach your machine (as
opposed to vice versa), you might as well just use whatever name the
ISP you're currently connected to tries to give you.

Uhhhh, The computer with FBSD on it has not been connected to the
Internet since last winter, when it had Win 98SE on it. I'm a truck
driver who carries two computers in the truck with me, and seem to be
collecting more older computers at home in Wyoming. In the truck, I
always have one computer turned on. I get my loads over the Internet,
get most of my news over the Internet, keep truck records, do my legal
logbook, and keep in touch with my daughters who live in Europe, and
learn about FreeBSD all with a laptop computer. The fact of the matter
is that I can not even work without a working computer.

I can't even tell from that paragraph whether you want the FreeBSD machine to be Internet-connected or not. If you don't, then just pick any old name for the machine (preferably with a non-existent top-level domain), stick that name into rc.conf as 'hostname', and add it to /etc/hosts as well (for 127.0.0.1).

E.g., rc.conf could have hostname="lloyd-freebsd.private"
and hosts could have
127.0.0.1 localhost lloyd-freebsd.private

Since many of the processes running on FreeBSD require a 'named'
computer, I need to know how to handle this. Otherwise, as it says in
"The Complete FreeBSD" book, there will be processes which will not
run, or else they will not run correctly on my computer. The answer to
this problem does not seemed to be addressed while using 'dhclient' in
any of the printed information that I could find.

If you're running DHCP, then you could just have dhclient set the system name. I do something like this on my own laptop, but I haven't got access to it at the moment. Basically I just had one of the dhclient "hooks" scripts set the machine's hostname to whatever DHCP had just assigned. Something like:

if [ "x${new_host_name}" = "x" ] ; then
       hostname ${new_host_name}
fi

If you want to be able to go offline without rebooting, you would need
a little more tinkering -- probably an entry in pccard.conf resetting
your hostname when you remove the modem card would do that.

---------------------------- Do I want to connect this machine to the Internet? Yes, as a client.

Have I been able to connect this machine to the Internet using FreeBSD? No

   Conditions for Internet Access: WiFi 802.11 b or g wireless at
   different locations all across the USA. No regular access location
   or service, and no land line.

   Other considerations: External (CD-Burner-DVD Roms,  Hard Drives,
   Scanners, Printers, Cameras, Video - Audio - Multimedia Devices,
   Modems, WiFi cards, Port Adapters, Touch Tablets w/mice, Keyboards,
   mice, etc.)  These devices are all external from the laptops.

One problem or another always comes up. Right now, I'm dealing with this naming issue.

Xorg is a problem which seems to come under the heading of New Technology. I'll stick with XFree86.
Xorg is now off of this computer.

Lloyd Hayes

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]