same exact error.  Tried without, tried -O 2, no dice! :-)

-matt

Martin Hepworth wrote:
Matt

what happens if you drop the -O flag. Newfs will default to ufs2 in the 5.x versions. or even do '-O 2'???

-- Martin Hepworth Snr Systems Administrator Solid State Logic Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300

matt virus wrote:

Hi All -

with some help from people on this list, i managed to get vinum and raid5 all figured out!

I had 4 * 160gb raid5 array running perfectly. When i ventured home this past weekend, i found another ATA controller and figured I'd change my raid5 array to have 8 drives.

I cleaned the drives, reformatted and labeled to have a nice clean start, rewrote my config file and I get this:

------------------------------
2day# newfs -U -O2 /dev/vinum/raid5
/dev/vinum/raid5: 1094291.2MB (2241108324 sectors) block size 16384, fragment size 2048
using 5955 cylinder groups of 183.77MB, 11761 blks, 23552 inodes.
with soft updates

newfs: can't read old UFS1 superblock: read error from block device: Invalid argument
.
After some reading, found out this is a pesky problem a lot of people are having. Is there a solution for FBSD 5.2.1 running vinum or do I need to upgrade to 5.3 or some other release using geom-vinum? Does anybody know (for sure) if geom-vinum works with 1TB< filesystems?

WORST case - i'll remove a drive and bump it down to under 1TB, but it seems like a waste.

-matt

the system manager.

Matt Virus ("veer-iss")
http://www.mattvirus.net