Admin wrote:

Matthew Seaman wrote:

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 08:03:15PM +0100, Webmaster wrote:

Hi everybody.
Need help with Apache2 seg fault.
I'm totally in my blinds on this one. It seems like the problem occurs when Apache is trying to
do a graceful restart.
Tried to do some "googling" and searching the mail archives, but found nothing useful.
Found an answer from Matthew Seaman to a similar problem, but didn't understand much about it.
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-questions/2004-September/057901.html

Fame at last!

odin# uname -a
FreeBSD odin.swedehost.com 4.10-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p3 #0: Fri Nov 5 16:04:49 CET 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ODIN i386

This is what the httpd-error.log has to say about it :
[Mon Nov 08 19:00:00 2004] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing restart
[Mon Nov 08 19:00:02 2004] [notice] seg fault or similar nasty error detected in the parent process
[Mon Nov 08 19:01:52 2004] [warn] pid file /var/run/httpd.pid overwritten -- Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
[Mon Nov 08 19:01:52 2004] [notice] Apache/2.0.52 (FreeBSD) PHP/4.3.9 mod_ssl/2.0.52 OpenSSL/0.9.7d configured -- resuming normal operations

And then nothing happening. I have to manually restart the server by issuing the following :
/usr/local/sbin/apachectl startssl

Any and all help preciated.

It is probably not a problem with the base Apache itself which is
leading to the segfaults.  Rather I'd suspect that some module you're
module like mod_php{4,5}, mod_jk or mod_perl.

The first step is to narrow down what the cause of the problem is.
Try commenting out the LoadModule directives in httpd.conf until you
can isolate which one is the cause of the problem.

Note: I'm assuming that you're using the standard prefork MPM --
that's definitely the preferred (in fact the only working) method
under 4.10.  I think it's still preferred in 5.x, but in that OS
version you might be able to succeed at using one of the threaded
MPMs.

    Cheers,

    Matthew

Thx for your answer.
Will follow your advice and try to pinpoint which module causing the problem.
I do suspect php according to another mail I found searching the archives.
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-questions/2004-April/042300.html

leading to this link : /http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=27810
/which didn't enlight me very much, but might help other people to understand the problem :-)

Another issue I do remember from last time I cvsupe'd and port upgraded, was two ports
that wasn't upgraded.
php4-mcve ( marked ignore ) and squirrelmail.
Don't know if this is relevant, but just thought I would add it.

/ Hasse.

Hi.
After some more " googling " and some experimenting with commenting out LoadModules in Apache httpd.conf,
I'm positive the problem is a bug in PHP and related to the php4-pcre-4.3.9 extension.
Unfortunately, I can't do without it. I'm running Squirrelmail.
One solution I 've found would be to install the php4-pcre-4.3.4 version that is said to be working, but how do I do that ?
Don't know how to find and install old ports :-)
The solution to bugs and problems used to be to uppgrade, not downgrade your ports.

For others interested, here are some of the useful URL's I found regarding this issue :
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=27735
http://www.csie.nctu.edu.tw/news/article/freebsd.csie.nctu.edu.tw/mailing.freebsd.ports/122053h

/ Regards
Hasse.