Hi All,

I am trying to build a Samba file server that will serve 2TB to a single dept. The dept will have a large variety of file types being saved to the server; thousands of small (<32K) files to hundreds of medium to large files (a few hundred KB in size to a few hundred MB in size). I am using a 3ware 9500 series card in a PCX slot with 8 SATA drives connected to it in a RAID 5 config. The proc is an Intel 3.2GHz with 4GB of 400MHz DDR ECC Dual Channel RAM. The computer also has a single GB Ethernet. The clients are all XP Pro. I have put 5.3 on it and recompiled the kernel with only the items (drivers?) in it that are physically on the system and being used. For example I've turned off USB, Serial and Parallel ports in the motherboard's BIOS and have removed them from my kernel. Do you gurus have anything else you could recommend? I know that RAID5 will have a slowdown in write performance as will using UFS (Journaled file system). Of course I'm not specifically asking for Samba help but any advice for kernel/OS/Network config or insight to fine tuning SAMBA on FreeBSD, so that this machine can set new land speed records. I was also wondering about dual NIC for load balancing as I'm hoping that the network is actually going to be the bottleneck here.

On a quick side note, I have been a part of this list for a couple of years now and have offered support when I can or wasn't already beaten to it. I just wanted to give a BIG Thank You to the developers for hands down 'The Best OS' on the planet and to the individuals on this list who have consistently taken time from their day to offer their technical expertise and talent in an effort to further FreeBSD!