On Wednesday, 10 November 2004 at 23:31:49 -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> On  Wednesday, November 10, 2004 8:20 AM, Jerry McAllister wrote:
>> Also, there is a difference between censorship and taking an action
>> against abuse of persons.   The behavior indicated is indeed abusive.
>
> That is a judgement that needs to be made by the people running the
> list, not by the recipient of 'the abuse'  Anybody that is being
> told to shut up, or is being told they are an idiot, is going to
> claim it abuse.

I think this would be a valid claim.  It's certainly not the image
that the charter tries to foster.

> I would consider something like posting someone's complete name,
> address, phone number along with a statement that you and your Klan
> friends are going to be there Friday with a rope, to be abusive.
> But simple name calling?  pish posh.  I wish I had a nickle for
> every time someone swore on a mailing list!

It's not the words that count, it's the meaning.  You're really saying
this with the Klan example.  And since we're all supposed to be big
boys now, not to mention the occasional girl, I don't think it makes
sense to lay down the law exactly.  But when a number of people
complain about your behaviour, you're probably doing something wrong.

On Thursday, 11 November 2004 at 10:05:50 -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> [missing attribution]
>> On  Wednesday, November 10, 2004 8:20 AM, Jerry McAllister wrote:
>>
>>> Also, there is a difference between censorship and taking an action
>>> against abuse of persons.   The behavior indicated is indeed abusive.
>>
>> That is a judgement that needs to be made by the people running the
>> list, not by the recipient of 'the abuse'  Anybody that is being
>> told to shut up, or is being told they are an idiot, is going to
>> claim it abuse.
>
> Well, the person did address his complaint to the "moderator" of the
> list and, tho sent to the wrong place, did not address it to the
> list per se.

There's a good reason for this: this list is (currently) unmoderated.
Some of us pay attention, though.  We have been discussing some recent
abusive mail messages, and though we condemn them, we're discussing
how to deal with it.  By far our favourite choice would be for the
people in question to come into line with existing list policy.

> Finally, it is up to the list manager to choose what to do.  I don't
> think anyone has disagreed with that - at not in a public posting.

Heh.  I might :-)  See my previous paragraph.

Greg