Damien Hull wrote:

Under Linux I just tar everything and place them on DVD. If something
goes wrong I just boot from a CD, repartition/fromat, untar everything
back onto the drive, run lilo to install the boot loader and reboot.

Can I do the same in FreeBSD? If so, how would I do this?

Don't see why you couldn't do the same. However, a gander at the Handbook shows that dump(8) is recommended over tar(1); I'm trying to migrate to dump from tar, myself.

IIRC, there's a comprehensive backup plan written, down to the
letter, in the appropriate Handbook section.

Also, if you're running 5.3 now, note that tar is now bsdtar(1)
instead of the GNU tar (which is now gtar(1)) ...

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.