* Brian Bobowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [1134 14:34]:
> Joshua Lokken wrote:

> >Also, as you see, it's well-documented in the kernel config file ;)
> >

> While this is true, it's also easy enough for someone to snip the
> directions when slicing things out of the config file. Assuming that the
> user won't do things the wrong way is a sure way to succumb to Murphy's
> Law(the real one).

Yeah, but assuming a user who can't read a comment is happy enough to
go editing a kernel config file, that's their funeral.

"we'll err on the side of handing out rope and guns to all interested
parties while hoping you have enough smarts to keep from hanging yourself
or shooting yourself in the foot." - html, the definitive guide

> The main barrier I can see to this is getting whatever parses the config
> file to recognise such dependencies

I agree it should be fixed in config if anywhere, but it's worth bearing
in mind that kernel compiles on any platform are still non-trivial.

I did a kernel build on Debian yesterday and it took half a dozen goes to
get a USB mouse working because usbhid wasn't there. No warnings, just
shedloads of insmod failures on reboot. Nice.

At least our compiler craps out :)

--
What have you done to the cat? It looks half-dead. - Schroedinger's wife