Bill Moran wrote:

There have been quite a lot of threads in the past month regarding the
network performance of 5.3 being inferior to 4.10.

You might also want to bear in mind that with the 5 series you have
the benefit of OpenBSD's pf firewall. Although more information on 4.x
and pf is available at the following link.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2004-September/000300.html

Personally, if it was me, I'd go with 5.x rather than 4.x, but if you
are going to be pushing a lot of data then perhaps search the archives
for the last month or two regarding network performance.

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct anymore.  I seem to remember that
the performance problems were in 5.3BETA and were fixed prior to the
release of 5.3-RELEASE.

I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think research of
reliable sources would be smart.

Well ... I forgot to say I need this router for few weeks only it will be replaced by a cisco box when I will be able to purchase it ,-) So
I think a conservative choice would be the best for me in the light of advices I got from people of this list.
So I'll build the router on 4.10 base as I really don't need extra features than routing .

Thanks a lot guys

Frank