After updating to 5.3 MySQL won't start at boot time. I read UPDATING and it says to include a line in /etc/rc.conf. But even after adding that line:

# grep mysql /etc/rc.conf
mysql_enable="YES"

        It still won't start up on its own after I reboot. However doing:

# /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql --datadir=/var/db/mysql --pid-file=/var/db/mysql/my_hostname.pid

Works just fine (which I assume is what the startup script should do). Any pointers as to why this isn't working as it should?

Vonleigh Simmons <http://illusionart.com/>