Henry Miller wrote:
On 12/9/2004 at 02:25 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

hello,

i have a 10/100 fast ethernet pccard labeled "sitecom".
it is built around the asix ax88790 chipset and runs at 10 mbit using the ed driver.

is 10 mbit/sec the maximum transfer rate the ed driver supports?

does somebody know a way i can use this card at 100
mbit/sec on my freebsd-5.3-release system?

the dmesg output for ed0:

ed0: <PCMCIA FastEthernet> at port 0x300-0x31f irq 5 function 0 config 7 on pccard1
ed0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
ed0: Ethernet address: 00:10:60:f5:e1:12
ed0: if_start running deferred for Giant

uname -a:

FreeBSD host1 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #2:
Wed Dec  1 17:01:58 CET 2004     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys
/i386/compile/NEU  i386

ifconfig ed0:

ed0: flags=108843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.1.20 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
inet6 fe80::210:60ff:fef5:e112%ed0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3 ether 00:10:60:f5:e1:12

thanks,

thanks for your reply.

Are you sure this card is really running at 10Mbit/s?

it takes more than 10 seconds to transfer a 10-megabyte-file. testing the transfer speed with /usr/ports/net/netstrain shows transfer rates of 950 K/s for receiving and 1350 K/s for sending data.

Are you sure
your hub/switch supports 100 MBit/s?

yes.

Do you have any 10Mbs only
devices on the network?  (some hubs will not allow two different
speeds)  Are you sure your wires are all cat-5, with all wires
connected (iirc 10baseT uses less wires than 100), and good.  (I've
seen mice eat previously working cables, depending on the exact damage
done the cable may still work at 10)

Are you sure this card supports the same protocol as your hub? Back
when 100 megabit ethernet first came out there were several different
incompatible protocols. Most of those cards would step down to 10mbs
if they couldn't agree on a protocol. (as I recall the hardware
engineers said about the auto speed select abilities is that the good
news is it worked, and the two end points were able to agree on a
common speed. The bad news is you are now running at 10Mbs) This
situation settled down quickly, but if this card/hub combination has
never been working at 100Mbs, it might be an issue you are having.

I'm focusing on hardware, because that is a common issue.  It could be
FreeBSD, but often it isn't.

i have used this card on this laptop on three different 10/100 mbit lans,
always using the same cat 5 cables as the other hosts.
transferring data on these networks with other hosts works at the typical 100mbit transfer rates of 7-9 megabytes/sec. thus, i assume i can exclude the possibilty of a hardware problem outside of my computer.

martin