Chuck Swiger wrote:

Gerard Samuel wrote:
[ ... ]

This box currently uses DHCP to get its IP address.
When it boots up, and I log in, and immediately try to
initiate any network activity from this box, it takes about
2-3 seconds for said network activity to start.
For example, if I were to ping, or startx, it takes
about 2-3 seconds for either ping or startx to actually start.

[ ... ]

Is this normal?

That sounds more like the puase associated with doing IPv6 versus a IPv4 DNS lookup, assuming it happens when you are trying to ping some remote IP...?

You might also be seeing a pause due to ethernet autoselection; if you manually configure the interface and the switch port to manual 100/FD, doing so might also remove a brief pause. [Fixing the speed is impractical for a roaming laptop, but it might be worth trying as a test... ]

Well you pushed me in the right direction to solve this.
Looking over the man pages for ifconfig and rc.conf, here is what I did.
1.  Figure out what media options are available for the card
$ ifconfig -m fxp0
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
       options=8<VLAN_MTU>
       capability list:
               =8<VLAN_MTU>
       inet 192.168.0.16 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
       ether 00:80:29:65:e2:96
       status: active
       supported media:
               media autoselect
               media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
               media 100baseTX
               media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex
               media 10baseT/UTP
               media 100baseTX mediaopt hw-loopback

2. According to the rc.conf man page, I added a file /etc/start_if.fxp0 with ->
ifconfig fxp0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
To manually set media and media options at bootup.

Thats it.  I rebooted, and the network is available immediately at bootup,
instead of waiting a few seconds to auto configure.

Thanks