On Sunday 05 December 2004 12:05 am, jason wrote:

> Has anyone else heard of these great idea?  If you are intrested sign
> the petition so the company backing it, Tech Source, will fund it.
> Please check this link with plenty of info about.

It does sound like a good idea, but I wonder if it's realistic over the long
run.

Why? Well, once upon a time all of the chip vendors published specifications
for their parts, and made them available to "the public". Now, it seems that
there are many components that are available only to "selected parties", and
then only if you'll sign an NDA.

This is not a conspiracy (unless capitalism is a conspiracy), it simply
reflects the desire to protect the I.P. developed through investments.

We've already seen this in the wifi marketplace... there are open-source
drivers for the older technology, but there are none for the latest
technology hardware. Thus, you're forced to choose: latest technology or open
source.

Jay