Ben Washington-Yule wrote:

Nikolas Britton wrote:

Ben Washington-Yule wrote:

Nikolas Britton wrote:

Is it generally safe to just rebuild the kernel, and not make world, when your only tracking a release and not -STABLE, i.g. setting cvsup to track RELENG_5_3?

But why would you update your sources if you are not going to compile and install them?

Umm, umm, lol, yes I thought of this after I sent it, most of the updates are for userland and system tools, not the kernel, duh, sorry.

I know everyone always says "read the handbook" but in this case it is very useful. Read the chapters on the FreeBSD kernel and also the chapter aptly named "The Cutting Edge"

Regards, Ben

Been there done that and I did it long time ago, this was just a moment of stupidity and not thinking before posting. I was in the middle of updating my sources when I had to make some changes to the kernel and rebuild it and I didn't have time or the desire rebuild world.