Andrew P. wrote:

I got this at startup:

Dec 11 03:32:42 satbsd /kernel:
  Starting ppp as "root"
Dec 11 03:32:42 satbsd /kernel:
  /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
Dec 11 03:32:42 satbsd /kernel:
  Shared object "libintl.so.6" not found

The real question you should be asking is "why does ppp (a system
binary) depend on libintl (not a system library)?" You've probably
replaced your ppp(8) with something else, with poor consequences.

Can you tell me how to figure that out?

It's hard to give a definitive guide here.

First find out which startup script starts ppp at boot time. I can't look it up for you because I have FreeBSD 5.3 here where the startup scripts are different from 4.10. Has the script been modified. Is it still trying to run /usr/sbin/ppp or is it trying to run something else?

Look at the output of 'ls -l /usr/sbin'. Is the timestamp of ppp close to other files in that directory (that would be the time when you built/installed the world)? If it's not, then ppp has been replaced with something else. The timestamp of /usr/sbin/ppp might give you an idea when it happened. Try to remember what you were doing around this time.

I don't want to cry wolf, but it might even be some kind of trojan. If you're sure it's not a trojan (some accident during portupgrade or such), the easiest way to recover would probably be to rebuild and reinstall the world. If it's a trojan, the only safe way is to wipe the entire system, reinstall and restore the data.