Tried this but got the same error running xhost: unable to open display
""

> > When I run xdm from the > prompt I get:
> >
> > Shared object "libutil.so.3" not fund, required by "xdm"
> >
> > I assume this means I'm missing a file. After tracking some stuff
down I
> > found it should be in /usr/lib but it's not there. Any idea where I
can
> > get it?
>
> That indicates a whole other problem.  You must have linked to an
> older version of libutil when you built xorg.  I have
> /lib/libutil.so.4, not 3.
>
> BTW, what version of Xorg *are* you running?  What version of FreeBSD?
> I must have missed it in your previous messages.

I'm currently running FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov 5 04:19:18 UTC
2004
GENERIC kernel

Xorg's header when starting says:

Release Date: 18 December 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.7
..<cut OS info>..
Build Date: 16 October 2004

Could the error mentioned have happened because I manually installed
XFree86 4.4 (based on X11 6.6) in trying to get *something* to work on
this system?  Could this also be causing some of the other problems I've
been having?  If so, how do I remove XFree?

Thanks,
Jon

This communication, together with any attachments hereto or links contained
herein, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
information that is confidential or legally protected. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure,
copying, dissemination, distribution or use of this communication is STRICTLY
PROHIBITED.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify
the sender immediately by return e-mail message and delete the original and all
copies of the communication, along with any attachments hereto or links herein,
from your system.