Sandy Rutherford wrote:

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:03:15 -0600, "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> I wonder if it wouldn't be:

>         set hw.snd.pcm0.bufffersize=N

This doesn't work either.  No error --- it just ignores the setting.

> in accordance with other variables in /boot/loader.help.

> OTOH, there was a note in

>     /sys/i386/isa/sound/sound_config.h

>        (as of March) that refers to using "make config"
> to change the DSP_BUFFERSIZE constant during, I assume,
> the kernel build operation.  As I didn't start using
> FreeBSD on the desktop until 5.2 came out, I can't
> say that this is in anyway authoritative, and possibly
> isn't even helpful, though....

DSP_BUFFSIZE is not among the options that are setable in the kernel
config file and any attempt to set it gives an error when config is
run.  I'm guessing that the only way to change this is by hacking the
header files in the kernel source.

Thanks,
Sandy

Yea, I got my old laptop out that has 4.10 on it and I was rooting around in the src and found that, I tried everywitch way to get it to work in the kernel file but It nerver did work (config always bitched at me), I tried it also like this "make DSP_BUFFERSIZE=16384 depend && make DSP_BUFFERSIZE=16384 && make DSP_BUFFERSIZE=16384 install". this did not pruduce any errors but it didn't do anything ether, it skipped over the sound stuff as if there was no change, also I tried hard coding it it in sound_config.h but again same effect (maybe I did it wrong, i'm not a programmer), maybe you have to do a "complete" rebuild of the kernel and I did not try that because this laptop is only a P100 with 40MB Ram. also I found refrences to "bufsz" from /dev/sndstat so I tried adding it to the kernel config file like this "device sbc0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 10 drq 1 bufsz 16384" and config didn't like that (I never tried it with device pcm tho?)

stumbleine# more /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
pcm0: <ESS 0 DSP> at io 0x220 irq 10 drq 1 bufsz 4096 (1p/1r/0v channels duplex)

also reading the man pages for loader.conf , loader.4th, loader, and reading LINT help a bit., also there is a "device.hints" under /boot that loader reads so I tried adding it there as hint.pcm.0.buffersize="16384" but this did not work, it did tho add it as a loader environment variable (used show at the loader prompt). I also tried setting at the loader prompt hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize=16384 and again no deal, also helpful was setting verbose_loading="YES" into loader.conf. in all here is everything I tried with loader.conf:

set hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize="3D16384"
sh sysctl hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize=16384
sysctl hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize=16384
set hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize="8192"
set hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize=8192
set hw.snd.pcm.0.buffersize="8192"
set hw.snd.pcm.0.buffersize=8192
hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize="8192"
hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize=8192
hint.pcm.0.buffersize="8192"

Id like to get some input from a kernel hack or guru, and maybe you should cross post this in the freebsd-multimedia, freebsd-hackers, and/or freebsd-hardware mailling lists and I can not find anything relevant in my google / google groups searches about this problem, at this point I think it would just be easyer to upgrade to 5.3 (your comp will handle it, I have it running on a dual PII 366 system) to set the stupid thing. this might help (but its for linux): http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/3709/kernelhack.html

and this looks interesting: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=5359

also the only stuff I can find about DSP_BUFFSIZE, buffer stuff is from Matthew Dillon (dillon at backplane.com), maybe you should give him a buzz