John Baldwin wrote:

There is a problem in the kernel that causes with 3 or more processors (including logical CPUs from HTT). Disabling HTT in the BIOS is probably your best bet as it will get you down to 2 CPUs which should work much better. HTT also isn't but so useful anyways for most workloads. The instability problems have just been fixed in HEAD and will hopefully be MFC'd for 5.4 btw.

It looks like I have lucked out so far, because I have this set up with no problems so far. I hope this fix gets to 5.x-stable soon because for my particular workloads HTT helps a lot.

Stephen