Jonathan Franks wrote:
Joe Altman wrote:

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 10:07:19AM -0600, Eric Schuele wrote:

<snip lots>

If I have broken my ports tree.... is it possible to recreate it correctly? Maybe delete it and reinstall off CD then cvsup it?

No, you don't need to do a complete reinstall, IMO; you do need to
update your source, perhaps even desperately.

From what I've heard, portsdb -Uu is not preferred in 5.3, rather one should do make fetchindex in /usr/ports then run portsdb -u afterwards. I've only HEARD that this is correct, but it worked for me..... so make of it what you will....

ahh yes.. I've run across a msg or two mentioning this... but that was before I was trying to solve this problem so I was not paying close attention at the time.

I just tried it. I did a fresh cvsup, then the 'make fetchindex' (which pulled something out of the ether)... and then a 'portsdb -u'. The portsdb finished almost immediately and provided no output!? good? bad? dunno. So I moved on to 'pkgdb -F' which went well. I am currently watching the portupgrade do its thing. It takes a while because I have OpenOffice installed. I'll post back with my results.

Thanks for the assistance.
--
Regards,
Eric