On Friday 10 December 2004 14:54, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> I've run into some problems using 'portupgrade -R' so I'm wondering if just
> using 'portupgrade' is good enough in most cases.  I don't want a port to
> be upgraded without NECESSARY dependencies, but I don't want minor upgrades
> done UNNECESSARILY that might cause inconsistencies in the database.

If your intent is to add a few new "bells and whistles" to fairly
self-contained ports between clean installs of the OS, and you are not too
worried by stability and security, then this is a reasonable strategy. In the
long-term  it's best to keep all your ports reasonably up-to-date, and  to
follow UPDATING.

When you get a package database problem from a minor update it's usually a
repeat of a problem you have already fixed, So either you already know how to
fix it, or you can take comfort from the fact that it'll come around again
soon.