Joshua Lokken wrote:

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:04:24 +0100 (CET), Gelsema, Patrick
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mon, 13 December, 2004 23:56, Mike Meyer said:

I'm running 5.3-release, and seeing *very* strange behavior on
startup.

If I reboot the system, I get the following errors in
/var/log/console.log:

Dec 13 17:39:00 guru kernel: sendmail: illegal option -- L

I've traced this down to the sendmail_msp_queue_enable variable in
/etc/rc.conf. If set to yes, that invokes sendmail with the -L option.

SENDMAIL="NONE" #check sendmail documentation for proper line

However, this is deprecated, and it is recommended that you use:

sendmail_enable="NO"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"

if you look in /etc/defaults/rc.conf

you find the "-L" flags for sendmail in:
rc.conf:sendmail_flags="-L sm-mta -bd -q30m" # Flags to sendmail (as a
server)
rc.conf:sendmail_submit_flags="-L sm-mta -bd -q30m
-ODaemonPortOptions=Addr=localhost"
rc.conf:sendmail_outbound_flags="-L sm-queue -q30m" # Flags to
sendmail (outbound only)
rc.conf:sendmail_msp_queue_flags="-L sm-msp-queue -Ac -q30m"

one would think, or expect, that if you disable sendmail using
SENDMAIL_ENABLE="NONE", that "NONE" sendmail activity would be
triggered.

This seemed to be the way it worked in FreeBSD 4.XX, and altho we
can live with these changes for 5.XX, is there any where that we
can read the reasoning for making such a change?

Several things changed such as named being jailed, and this sendmail
NONE/NO change. It would be nice to be able to "read" the reasoning
for such changes.

Jim