I had some strange tar problems with bsd tar, which is included with 5.3-RELEASE. I would recommend installing gtar and using that instead. By the way, if you install gtar, you just type "tar" as you normally would.

freebsd_daemon wrote:
Dear list,

I got a tar archive (varia.tar), when I try to un-tar it I get:

# tar xvf ./varia.tar
../varia/
tar: ../varia/: Member name contains `..'
../varia/bkup200401.gz
tar: ../varia/bkup200401.gz: Member name contains `..'

[...]

../varia/bkup200411.gz
tar: ../varia/bkup200411.gz: Member name contains `..'
tar: Error exit delay from previous error

Is there a way to un-tar that archive despite of that?

TIA

zheyu