Lowell Gilbert wrote:

Eric F Crist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Where, in the handbook, can I find where to add a new hard drive to an
existing system? I know vaguely that I need to do a newfs and such,
as well as an fdisk, but I don't know what all the options mean and
how to best optimize this drive. Also, I'm thinking of obtaining an
identical drive as my system drive and performing a dump of sorts on a
schedule for backup purposes. anyone have any insight?

Not actually in the Handbook, but what you want is: the "Disk Formatting Tutorial".
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/formatting-media/index.html

There *is* a chapter in the handbook, however; it's Chapter 16 in
my latest doc build (but I don't think it's quite _new_).  Section .3,
entitled "adding disks", covers the scenario quite well.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey