--On Thursday, December 30, 2004 7:54 PM -0800 Karl Agee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Freebsd 4.11-pre.  I am working on learning perl, and have perl 5.00x
that is in the base system when I installed 4.10-Release.  Since most of
the learning materials out there are based on later verisions esp since
5.6.x some of the features arent in this older version.

I am considering upgrading to 5.8.5 via ports, but, dont know if that
will break anything.

Just being cautious...

It's good to be cautious. :-)

If you want to switch to the ports version of perl, then after you run make install clean in the port, you will need to do the following:

Type "use.perl ports" at the commandline. This will switch perl from the system version to the ports version. Until you do this, your system will still be using the system version. Furthermore, you can always revert back to the system version by typing "use.perl system" at the commandline.

After you do that, you will need to run "make reinstall" in any port that you've installed that uses perl.

You can also install all the CPAN modules using the base system, so there's no need to upgrade to the ports version unless you just want to. (I chose to do that on a server I maintain, but it worked fine using the system perl.)

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member