On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:10:46 -0800
"Ted Mittelstaedt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

A bit OT but wanted to throw my $0.02 anyway...

> CUPS is unnecessary.  unnecessary software complicates the machine
> and makes it harder to troubleshoot.  I don't personally care much
> for this.

I don't understand where all this animosity against CUPS comes from, but
it's not the first time I've seen people flaming against it. If you
don't like it, don't use it. CUPS is very easy to troubleshoot, perhaps
you didn't bother reading the man pages. Enable debugging log mode and
read the logs, all the info is there.

Setting up my USB laserprinter takes 10 seconds with CUPS. Drop the ppd
file, point the browser at localhost:631 and configure the printer.
Done. The computer is a tool to get the job done, and most people have
better things to do than spend more time than needed setting up their
printer. It's also worth mentioning that Samba 3.x and CUPS integreate
seamlessly.

> Also, too many people out there have got the idea that CUPS is
> somehow required to make their printer work.  Not good.  This
> leads to less understanding of how things work.

That's not true. Don't assume that someone who uses CUPS doesn't know
what's going on.

> It is the same with computers.  I know of people who have
> Windows boxes that are so highly configured it takes them
> literally weeks to put backgrounds/sounds/games/doodads/etc.etc.
> on every little thing of their PC.  To me it is sad to see
> this same attitude encroaching on FreeBSD.

Flawed analogy :-)

And, for the nth time, please, don't top post.

Cheers,
--
Miguel Mendez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     | lea     gfx_lib(pc),a1
http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org                | moveq   #0,d0