> The questions I'm going to get to and need answers for, based on the
> details to follow are
> 1) What did I do wrong(other than using an MS-operating system, that's
>    just a series of unfortunate events which are unavoidable)?

As a rule of thumb don't install Windows AFTER a BSD / Linux. It really could
care less about boot partitions. Windows2000 and XP you can modify the
bootloader to load BSD, but I don't know about Win98. It's been a LONG
time :)

> 2) Do I have any viable options other than just reinstalling at
>    this point (in which case, I might as well just go with 5.3
>    and be done with it)?

Probably your partition is still there, it just doesn't know how to get to it.
I don't remember the specifics, but you should be able to just rebuild the
boot MBR.

> 3) Will this happen again if I need to reinstall Win98se?  What if
>    I install XP?  Do I need to make any adjustments to my fdisk
>    partitions ward off problems in the future?

In this day an age if you HAVE to have Windows, then XP is the only way to go.

> 4) Is there any action I can take to help prevent others from
>    experiencing the pain I have just unwittingly inflicted on myself?

Install Windows first and then BSD. If you have to install afterwards, the XP
bootloader is pretty painless if you want to have a option to boot FreeBSD
from it.

Henrik
--
Henrik Hudson