At 8:13 PM -0600 1/9/05, Chris wrote:

Long uptimes = unsecured+unpatched boxes. Long uptimes? No thanks.

If you had read my earlier message, you would see that I take steps to keep the important components patched, and thus my machine has been as secure as a freshly-built system. Long uptimes are just a nice goal that I try for, so if there was a security issue where I *had* to reboot to fix it, I certainly would do so.

My strategy works for me because I have spare machines, and I am
constantly paying attention to freebsd changes.  The strategy will
not work as well for people in different situations than mine.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]