At 12:42 PM 1/11/2005, Benjamin Sobotta wrote:

Hmm seems to me like your filesystem got damaged. No need to make boot floppies. What I would do is use a live CD and boot and then from there run fsck to repair.

Thanks for the reply Ben. However I'm unable to boot from the mini-iso for some reason. Set cdrom to bootable from bios setup, and it won't take. I can set bios to boot from floppy and then it does, albeit tried a w98 floppy cuz don't have my fbsd floppies anymore.

But, can I run fsck from the sysinstall screen? Because that's what I eventually get thrown into after those error msgs. Except nothing seems to worth viz. the "Couldn't create directory /tmp/.doc: Read-only file system" msg.

Marty

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 09:18 -0500, Marty Landman wrote:
> Four days ago I moved some stuff around on my /root dir; yesterday my box
> rebooted itself... probably because of a power blink since other boxes did
> the same.
>
> Now it won't reboot; the kernel starts, a msg display very quickly then I
> get a box showing
>
> ------------- Message --------------
> Adaptec AAC RAID
> ------------------------(100%)---------
>
> When I <cr> past this box get a box saying
>
> ------------------------------------ Message --------------------------------
> Couldn't create directory /tmp/.doc: Read-only file system
> ----------------------------------------------------------------(100%)---------
>

> What can I do from this point? Before this problem became apparent I
> noticed that sendmail appeared to be gone from my system. I've apparently
> messed up some critical paths, and wonder if it might be better to just
> rebuild this sandbox from the mini-iso... just need to recreate the
> bootable floppies in that case, right?
>
> Marty
>

> Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
> Search & Sort Easily: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
> Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal

Benjamin Sobotta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>