David Kelly wrote:
(disabling HT will apparently mean I have to reinstall XP on the other
drive.

What does XP have to do with it? IIRC on Dell its F2 during the power-on diagnostics to reach the built-in BIOS config. That is where HT is to be disabled.

If you install and configure many flavors of Windows on a SMP system, that installation will not work if you move that image to a uni-proc system by swapping disks or otherwise removing CPU's (ie, by turning off HT'ing). I last saw this with a Win2K system, which immediately blue-screened with an "invalid SMP HAL" error very early in the boot.

[ It doesn't surprise me that one would want or have to reinstall XP after disabling HyperThreading. There exist even less comprehensible reasons which oblige people to reinstall Windows.... ]

--
-Chuck