Timothy Luoma wrote:
[ ... ]
I am wondering if I setup a proxy on the FreeBSD machine, if it would speed downloads up any. If so, what would be a good proxy to use?

Anything else I could do to speed things up?

Squid is a good proxy, and it can be smarter about caching and using If-Modified-Since refresh queries to check data, but it is not going to give a magical improvement over a browser's cache.

It might also help somewhat to run a caching-only nameserver on your host and forward all queries to your ISP's nameservers.

Disable image autoload in your browser, and/or block .swf.

--
-Chuck