Bryce Kahle wrote:
I've been researching NFS and its file locking capabilities on FreeBSD
and I can't seem to find the answer to my question, so I thought I would
ask it here.

In this document
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-post.h
tml#NETWORK-CONFIGURATION-CONT

It mentions this:
"The next option listed here is the rpc.lockd option, which, when
selected, will provide file locking services. This is usually used with
rpc.statd to monitor what hosts are requesting locks and how frequently
they request them. While these last two options are marvelous for
debugging, they are not required for NFS servers and clients to operate
correctly."

Is rpc.lockd required for fcntl() style locking to work correctly?

NFS in it self does not provide any filelocking mechanisms. Your only option is to rely on lockd. lockd needs statd to start correctly.

I think that lockd makes filelocking work among other nfs clients but I don't know if the server will respect this kind of filelocking or if it is interpreted as fcntl style locking.

I hope this answers half your question :-)

cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt