for the moment, I only did the kernel. I dont want to spend alot of time on this if its still unstable.

Looks like as long as I add DDB to the kernel and make it, I should get some crash dump ?

Yes, but you'll need to define the dump device and place to save the dump from the swap in the next reboot. In addition

makeoptions DEBUG=-g is needed in the kernel config as well (symbols!) and
options DDB_UNATTENDED can be a good idea.

I think that separate kernel and userland is a bad idea, especially now, when you have 5.3_STABLE kernel, and 5.3_RELENG userland. There are small and subtle changes in both which make the correct userland/kernel combination vital and following the correct procedure of compiling/installing them.

-Reko