On Jan 16, 2005, at 22:05, Kris Kennaway wrote:

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 09:51:13PM -0800, Doug Hardie wrote:
The instructions for building world/kernel for 4.x are straight forward
and work fine. However, I seem to have munged two 5.3 installations
now. I have been through all the UPDATING notes and the handbook and
something is obviously not clear.

The approach I used is:

Clean install from 5.3 distribution.
make buildworld
create new config file LAFN
make buildkernel KERNCONF=LAFN
make installkernel KERNCONF=LAFN
reboot
make installworld
reboot

At that point It appeared I was using the LAFN kernel rather than
generic.

However, tonight I tried to make a new kernel.  NO go:
ERROR: version of config(8) does not match kernel!
config version = 500012, version required = 500013

So I tried to reinstall the kernel:
make installkernel KERNCONF=LAFN
install -o root -g wheel -m 555   acpi.ko /boot/kernel
install: acpi.ko: No such file or directory

How are you supposed to build a new kernel that works?  How do I
recover this?

The only way I can think for this to happen is if your source tree was inconsistent (i.e. not completely updated), or you updated your sources after you did the installworld, and the kernel depends on the newer version of config than the one you have built (in this case the 'safe' buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel method you used to begin with should still work).

Kris

those instructions were typed just as noted with nothing inbetween. I have replaced kernel with kernel.old so the
system will boot. But now I have an old kernel and new world (possibly). Nothing for reconstruction seems to work.
buildkernel continues to give the above error. I guess I'll try a buildworld again tomorrow. Don't know what else
to do.