On 01/18/05 11:01:32, Gerard Seibert wrote:
I have tried googling for this information, but without any concrete
results. In the '/etc/make.conf' file, what are the advantages between
using the following declaration?

CPUTYPE=i686

Versus

CPUTYPE=p4

In the above scenario, the number following the letter 'p' could be
between one and four. Does it make a discernable difference?

Thanks!

Gerard E. Seibert
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back.'

        -- Anonymous

The 686 covers a few processors including the athlon, p4, p3?, and maybe some others. If you set p4 you should produce code that runs faster on a p4 than 686 would. Also the code might run slower or not at all on the p3 and athlon. SSE3 is an example of code used on a p4 not found in other 686s(I think this is still the case) that would case the program not to run on other cpu types, but run faster on a p4.
BTW, iirc p4=pentium4 and it atleast used to be broken and droped back to some lower setting.