On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 08:38:18AM -0500, b zz wrote:
> Hello,
> Sorry for my poor english language because I'm french..
> I would to know who is the creator of 4.4 BSD.
> Cordially,
> Ben Clark.

Bon jour, Ben!  There - that's almost all my French - so your
English is far superior to my French.

BSD Unix anything came out of CSRG UCB.  How's that for alphabet
jumble?  CSRG is the Computer Science Research Group of the
University of California at Berkeley (UCB).  BSD, in fact,
stands for Berkeley Software Distribution.  Many interesting
people were in that group at the time, including some of the
founders of Sun MicroSystems and other movers and shakers of
the industry.

The University of California bought a full source licence from AT&T
Bell Labs, which had produced The Unix Operating System (at that
time, they were quite adamant that "Unix" was not a noun, but an
adjective which needed a noun to modify), and, at the time, offered
the full source license for $200,000 commercially or $20,000 to
educational institutions.  The source license, interestingly,
granted you the right to redistribute derivative code (code based
on the licensed code), but only to another license holder.
Consequently, BSD Unix spread like wildfire through educational
institutions, to whom $20,000 was not an unreasonable sum.  They'd
mail off their check to AT&T, and sometimes, before it even got
there, mail off a photocopy of the check to UCB along with a nomial
media charge, and get back a 9-track tape with the full BSD on it.
This included a LOT of AT&T-developed code, but since you were an
AT&T license holder, that was OK.  That was in the time of the Dec
VAX 750 and 780, and the Dec PDP-11/63 and 11/70 - around 1975.

The catch was that it was not really practical to run BSD Unix
without the source, no-one was really serious about making binary
distributions, and you still needed a license from AT&T to be able
to receive it. Furthermore, the educational source license did
NOT include a provision for redistribution to commercial binary
license holders, even if someone had made a binary distribution.

(Obviously, everything in computers is binary.  What this convention
meant was an object-code or executable-only distribution where
everything is at least compiled, and no source code is distributed.)

The effort began to re-write all the AT&T "encumbered" code, but
therein lies a tale of mystery, intrigue, and
things-that-go-bump-in-the-night.  I recommend the Handbook
and _The Complete FreeBSD_ by Greg Lehey for a history of What
Came After That, the relationship of BSD to SyS III, Sys V,
OSF-1, et al.

Suffice it to say, for now, that part of what the "Free" in
FreeBSD means is that it is free of all proprietary intellectual
property and legally unencumbered for unlimited distribution.

Ew - English can get so odd: "Proprietary property".  But you
all know what I mean.
--

John Lind
[EMAIL PROTECTED]