David Bear wrote:
I am receiving the following errors on my hard drive. This appears to
affect some file in /var/log. My question is twofold. 1) shouldn't ufs
notice this sector as being unuseable and mark it offlimites? 2) if
not, is there a way to mark it so manually?

Sure, by default, modern drives will notice and replace failing sectors using spare ones. The error message you are seeing very probably indicates that the drive has enough bad sectors that it has run out of spares and is going to completely fail very soon.

Back up your data ASAP....

--
-Chuck