On 01/20/05 19:06:22, cali wrote:
If this is the wrong mailing list, I apologise, suggestions to a more
appropriate mailing list will be appreciated.

Reasonably recently I upgraded my hardware to the following:

Soltek SL-NV400-64 "Purple
Ray" (Socket A) Motherboard

AMD Athlon "Barton" XP3200+
400FSB (Socket A) CPU - OEM

Asus DRW-0402P DVD-R/RW -
Retail

Adata 512MB DDR PC3200 CAS 2.5
Adata 512MB DDR PC3200 CAS 2.5

Zalman Flower CNPS6000-Cu
Silent Socket A CPU Cooler -

Antec Sonata Piano Black
Quiet Case - 380W TruePower
Silent PSU

Hyundai ImageQuest Q995 19''
Perfectly Flat CRT Monitor -
Black/Silver

Geforce FX 5200 graphics card

IBM 60GB HD

Western Digital 160GB HD

Sometimes when I run CPU intensive applications the system will
crash at seemingly unpredictable times, I have to hard reset the machine as it
is completely unresponsive, I was running an experiment in console mode and it showed me the kernel panic:

With those uptimes I would say your heat sink and fan(hsf) is to blame. The old idea about amds running hot is kind of crap, any cpu will run hot if not installed correctly or overclocked. You got that white stuff between the cpu and hsf?

I checked your hsf on the net and in silent mode it does not support your cpu speed, though it does in normal higher speed fan mode. If you have the fan make sure to keep it in normal mode or it may bake your cpu! http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=33&code=005009010

Try this command several times after you boot. Then after you boot your box do it while under load.

sysctl -a|grep thermal

That will tell you your cpu temp, you'll need acpi on. If you did not put the hsf on right it will go up and you get problems like after 5 minutes or less. I set my bios heat alarm to go off and set a shutdown temp too. You might want to check that stuff out in your bios too. Go to amd.com and get that pdf on how to install the hsf, I made a mistake a month ago when I was switching out cpus and that was my problem.

Everything else looks good, but do you have some case fans? I moved a 120mm fan over near my cpu and my 100% load temp while folding droped about 10C. I am overclocked and it was maxing out at about 58C or less. Now it hardly hits 50C, usaully 48C but it might go down to 45C if it is cool in my room. I wonder how it will do in the summer? :)