Ruben de Groot wrote:
On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:11:34PM +0100, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg typed:

Hi list.

Im trying to setup a machine to mirror its entire drive using dump/restore to a secondary drive.
The dump works fine, but at the end of each session, restore always asks "set owner/mode for '.'"?. This makes it impossible to automate the task, which is what I would to accomplish.

What exact commands are you using? I have scripts doing

cd /mnt/drive2/partitionX
dump 0aLf - /partitionX | restore rf -

without being asked anything.

I was using 'restore xf -', but after reading the manpage again I see that using -r like you do is the way to go.
Unbelievable that noone else has noticed this, there are hundreds of posts on the internet discussing this very issue.

Many thanks, you just saved me a lot of trouble!