J65nko BSD wrote:
Due to the problems of IPSec with NAT I was thinking if it is posible to
setup IPSec without Authenticated Headers? Does anyone know of a howto?

The AH (Authenticated Header) protocol cannot be used with NAT, NAT
modifies the header of packets, while AH is supposed to protect that
header from being modified. Another IPSEC protocol ESP (Encrypted
Security Payload), both authenticates and encrypts, and thus has no
problem with NAT traversal.

Thanks, AFAIK, ESP and AH are used in conjunction in IPSec, ESP for encrypting the packet payload, and AH for authentication. ESP in it self does not provide authentication, but only encrypts the payload - hence the names :-)

Since ESP only encrypts the payload, as you say, ESP has no problem with NAT, whereas AH appends a signed checksum of the header. And since NAT alters the header, verifying the AH fails.

Ofcourse, it requires access to the (public?) keys to create valid encrypted packets. Hence, if the public key is kept as a shared secret among the authorized users, one could assume that ESP packets are authenticated/trusted.

This is my idea, discard AH, rely on ESP and assume that anyone capable of producing decryptable packets must have access to the pre-shared secret "public" key and hence authorized.

AH would work, if both ends were NATaware, such that the rigth src/dst ip could be inserted in the header before checking. It just occured to me that maybe this could be done by adding yet another IP/IP tunnel?

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                           web: http://www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt