On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 10:14, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Sunday, January 23, 2005 7:01 AM -0800 faisal gillani
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > i use samba on my freebsd server to share files , i
> > dont use any active directory connectivity still the
> > port "445/tcp    open        microsoft-ds" is open , i
> > read is some where that this port should be close as
> > it is dangerous to the server , is this true ?
> >
> Port 445 is the CIFS port, which is used by the newer MS systems
> (2000,XP,2003) for networking.  Like any networking port, it should not be
> exposed to the Internet.  The port itself doesn't represent a risk, but
> there's no reason to make it available to the internet anyway.

Judging by the > 300 probes / 12 hours to this port that I log
in my /var/log/firewall files, I would _definately_ close the hole.

port 81 is a Windows network port also that should be closed.

--
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.