On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Emanuel Strobl wrote:

> Am Montag, 24. Januar 2005 06:17 schrieb Oliver Fuchs:
>
> > > In addition, was on OS running a window manager and the other not? Was
> > > one running ssh and the other not, was FBSD running Linux emu? ... Was
> > > one running (insert program) and the other not...
> >
> > In addition to this:
> > - how often did you run your test
> > - what processes/daemons else where running
> > - what is the contents of /etc/fstab
> > - what is the contents of /etc/login.conf
> > - what shell was used
> > - what user was used
> > - ... .
>
> Well, these aren't of big interest atm. I posted a question in -current
> regarding horrible ftp transfer rates (fwe and em transfer rates).
> He was the only one answering and regrettably confirming my experience.
> First, tell me why a 866MHz PII machine is full loaded for transfering 22MB/s
> (over em0 and ftp, disks can do more that 50MB/s, no switch, just direct
> connect, no packet loss/mutilation.......)?

Hi,
that is true but he was not testing the ftp transfer rates but instead
"... use Postgresql  for our database needs ...". So I think that makes a
difference.

> There is such a big performance hole that it's really uninteresting if one
> runs syslogd on one machine and not on the other...

Again he was not complaining about bad FreeBSD performance but he compared
two OSes and came to the conclusion that FreeBSD is not his first choice.
So his test was quiet good because his result was that FreeBSD is not the
operating system he would recommend.
So what I do not understand is why he is sending the mail. I
mean I do not want to offend/critisize anybody but he did the test and the
result was clear - so he can trust in that. He tried to run his test in a
standard environment (although if I had done it I would have used an
official release of FreeBSD and not current) and I only wanted to point to
some "disturbing" variabels ... that was all.

Maybe there is a performance problem with FreeBSD - but again that was not
his question.

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit