On Monday 24 January 2005 05:11 am, saravanan ganapathy wrote:
> --- Tabor Kelly
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > saravanan ganapathy wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > --- Erik Norgaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Since I am very new to freebsd, I am not sure abt
> >
> > the
> >
> > > ports collections which I don't want.
> >
> > Since you are new, I will give you some (ports)
> > advice:
> >
> > 1. Always update all of your ports so that you can
> > use portupgrade.
> > 2. Use portupgrade.
> > 3. Read /usr/ports/UPDATING if you want things to go
> > smoothly.
> > 4. If you forget step 3, and step 3 happens to have
> > some bad news in it
> > (usually pertaining to gettext), 'portupgrade -rRf
> > [some port]' can work
> > wonders.
> > 5. Don't forget to do a 'portsdb -uU' after
> > cvsup'ing your ports.
> >
> > My quick start to portupgrade:
>
> http://tabor.taborandtashell.net/serversetup/ports.html
>
> > Where I learned about portupgrade:
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html
>

> The above link was very useful to me and I 've learnt
> the portupgrade procedure.
>
> I am also looking for package management. I know that
> a package can be installed using 'pkg_add -r
> sendmail'. But how to keep update these packages like
> ports?
>
> I need to choose either ports or packages.

Why? Either is an appropriate method of updating. Maintaining the ports
using something like portupgrade is frequently faster because you can
update the port as soon as it is changed. With a package, you have to
wait until the package has been built and moved to the mirrors. If a
package is available, you save a lot of cpu usage on slow machines. In
order to use current versions, both require maintaining an uptodate
port structure. You just have to determine which method is an optimum
for your usage.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart