> I'm sure that many will disagree, but if you don't want to worry about
> the partition
> sizes, don't.  Just have two partitions,  / and swap.

Sure, that works.   It is an especially viable way of doing it for
small systems that won't be handling lots of file growth.

But, there are reasons, especially on bigger systems for dividing
things up.  It makes dealing with some types of problems easier
and heads off problems when some types of files grow unexpectedly.
It can also help make backups easier to manage.

> I may have started a flame war, but for my small installs, it works just fine.

No need for a flame war.  There are reasons for doing it each
way depending on your situation and needs.

////jerry