> A few years ago, I'm sure I came across a one-line way of replacing
> every occurence of one string with another in an entire directory of
> files (potentially including all subdirectories as well).  I think it
> used sed or awk.  Now I can't find it.  The examples on the Web are all
> multiline scripts or programs, but I'm sure I saw a way to do it all on
> just one line.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Check out tr(1).
There are other ways, but for basic stuff, it is easy and fast.
I use it often for stripping out the extra CRs from MSDOS files.

    Something like:
              tr -d "\r" < dirtydos > cleanunix
does the trick.
But it will do replaces and pretty much anything.  Its syntax is
a little different that regular expressions type (maybe a little
easier actually) so read the man page.

////jerry