At 08:14 PM 27/01/2005, Robert Watson wrote:

> My tests use the exact same disk layout, and hardware.  However, I have
> had consistent results on all 4 boxes that I have tested on.

I am redoing mine so that I boot from a different drive and just test on one large RAID5 partition so that the layout is as consistent as possible

I/O (reads, writes at fairly large multiples of the sector size -- 512k is
a good number) and small I/O size (512 bytes is good).  This will help
identify the source along two dimmensions: are we looking at a basic
storage I/O problem that's present even without the file system, or can we
conclude that some of the additional extra cost is in the file system code
or the hand off to it.  Also, with the large and small I/O size, we can
perhaps draw some conclusions about to what extent the source is a
per-transaction overhead.

Apart from postmark and iozone (directly to disk and over nfs), are there any particular tests you would like to see done ?

Also, anyone know of a decent benchmark to run on windows ? I want to test samba's performance on the 2 platforms as seen from a couple of Windows clients.

---Mike