Mike Hauber wrote:

I've built/installed these games from the ports tree, and they start fine. However, the sound is terrible. The sound card seems to be echoing each sound at least 5 times. This, in turn, slows the games down.

the sound server of the doom-derived games has always been terrible.. in the past, it had been lagging ~5 seconds or so.
when I played those games on linux or freebsd years ago (especially heretic), I usually listened to some inspiring sound tracks from CD instead of the game sound. ;)

mkb.