Joshua Tinnin wrote:

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 04:24 pm, Joshua Tinnin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 03:07 pm, Aperez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Nikolas Britton wrote:

Chris Hodgins wrote:

Nikolas Britton wrote:

Alfredo Perez wrote:

Hi

I just updated my ports and installed Firefox. I have
installed Firefox version 0.9.3. How can I update it to
version 1.0?

Thanks

PS: I am running FreeBSD 5.3

Your post is a bit ambiguous. did you have 0.9.3 on your system
and wanted to upgrade to 1.0 or did you update your ports but
it installed 0.9.3?

What I would do:

my ports-sup file:

#*default host=cvsup14.us.FreeBSD.org
*default host=cvsup12.us.FreeBSD.org
#*default host=cvsup1.FreeBSD.org
#*default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
ports-all

-----------------------------

> su

# cvsup -g -L 2 /root/ports-supfile
(normally i'd just run pkg_version -v |grep "<" and if needed
portupgrade after cvsuping, if I was upgrading something like
Gnome or KDE i'd exit X)
# cd /usr/ports/www/firefox
# make deinstall
# more M*
# make WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS=yes install clean
# exit

> rehash
> firefox&
> exit

Could his problem be that he has simply not fetched the index?

I normally do:

# cvsup -g -L2 /usr/ports-supfile
..
..
# cd /usr/ports
# make fetchindex
# portsdb -u

and then I would try reinstalling it using the method above.

I don't think that would keep him from installing the newer
version after he cvsuped, system might complain or manually
rebuild the index but thats it. After the portupgrade problem
with index and how long it takes to rebuild the index I now do
this now too. also I run pkgdb -F or pkgdb -Fu and portsclean -C
before running portupgrade -arRwW and after I run portupgrade I
run portsclean -CDD and then clean out the old libs, that is...if
portupgrade had no errors. He emailed me and said he was
installing it for the first time, I think he just didn't do the
cvsup part correctly.

Okey, I just updated my ports following your instructions. I saw in
the Makefile file that the port version is equal to 1.0 ( before
was equal to 0.9). Now, what should I do next::

Desinstall Firefox and install it again and then I run pkgdb

or

First run pkgbd and then install Firefox

# cd /usr/ports/www/firefox && make deinstall && make clean
# make && make install && make clean

Alternately:

# cd /usr/ports/www/firefox && make deinstall && make reinstall

... but I suggest the first way, as it would be sure to clean out
everything first before rebuilding.

The pkgdb stuff will be done automatically.

Also, I guess I should mention it as others have brought it up, but you can use portupgrade to do this, too, though the way I described doesn't need it, and it does essentially the same thing. Maybe you've already installed it and are using it. In that case:

# portupgrade -rR firefox

Portupgrade is a convenient tool, but you have to watch out for occasional dependency problems. Here's a good tutorial:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html?page=1

It should be noted that your getting a lot of different advice and commands to run. the reason for this is that everyone has there own style for upgrading and installing ports (and you may or may not be getting verbose advice). when/if you pick and choose the commands to run from different people here without knowing what they do you could run into problems, its time to start reading:

http://www.google.com/search?q=portupgrade+site%3Aonlamp.com
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html