On Wednesday 02 February 2005 15:11, saravanan ganapathy wrote:
> --- Oliver Leitner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 February 2005 14:19, saravanan
> >
> > ganapathy wrote:
> > > Hai ,
> > >
> > > I have installed 5.3 release and want to keep my
> > > system uptodate with the security patches.
> > >
> > > Based on many guides, I have arranged as a doc.
> >
> > Pls
> >
> > > confirm me whether my steps are ok
> > >
> > > 1) Install portupgrade
> > > 2) Sync ports
> > >
> > >      Ports-supfile contains as
> > >
> > >     *default host=cvsup10.us.freebsd.org
> > >     *default base=/var/db
> > >     *default prefix=/usr
> > >     *default release=cvs tag=.
> > >     *default delete use-rel-suffix
> > >     ports-all
> > >
> > > ( or should I change tag=RELENG_5_3 )
> > >
> > >   cvsup -g -L 2 /root/ports-supfile
> > >
> > > 3) portsdb -Uu
> > > 4) portversion -v
> > > 5) portupgrade -arR  { to upgrade from all the
> >
> > lower
> >
> > > versions of applications )
> >
> > id add the following things:
> >
> > 1. install portaudit.
> > 2. portupgrade portdir/portname (e.g. portupgrade
> > lang/perl5)
> > 3. if portupgrade portdir/portname doesnt do, use
> > the -f flag.
> > 4. install freebsd-update from the security ports
> > dir.
> > 5. freebsd-update fetch
> > 6. freebsd-update install
> > 7. in case freebsd-update did find new kernel
> > modules, you might eventually
> > want to reboot the machine
>
> what freebsd-update fetch & install will do?
>
> Sarav

freebsd-update keeps the non-ports part of freebsd up to date.

--
By reading this mail you agree to the following:

using or giving out the email address and any
other info of the author of this email is strictly forbidden.
By acting against this agreement the author of this mail
will take possible legal actions against the abuse.